Sunday, October 23, 2011

CANDLE LIGHTER

Ding-dong!

Sweet Neighbor Girl and her big sister were at the door this afternoon--big sis holding a large envelope.

"What are you selling?" I asked. I've been throught this routine so many times before that I can make the sales pitch for her.

"Candles for FCCLA." (That's the updated, hip name for what used to be FHA when I was in high school. I have no idea what the last three initials stand for but the first two are Family and Consumer. Truth be known, not a single club member probably has a clue, either.)

"Oh, have you ever come to the right place! Step right in. I LOVE candles!!"

The candles she's peddling are one of the popular, up-scale brands and the scents are these fabulous, romantic ones that smell good enough to eat. Her sample sheet was "scratch and sniff," so I was like a bloodhound out for the prey. Decisions, decisions. I settled for Cinnamon Vanilla, Pine Forest, and Apple Cinnamon.

I hope this order gets here fast because I'm on my last scented candle right now--mulberry. When one lives with three cats and one Big Bore, it helps to have room aroma-fiers. (Is that a word?) I'm not good with those canned sprays like Glade and Air Wick. Half the time I end up spraying them in my face or they squirt out in drippy clumps. Give me a nice candle to light my fire and make the living room smell like I'm baking cookies and apple pie in the woods...instead of, well, I'll spare you the sad truth.

No comments: