Saturday, October 22, 2011

IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER

Little kids have such a different perspective than adults. Yesterday the neighborhood 5- and 4-year-old, Trouble 1 and Trouble 2, were at the door wanting to pet Critter, who was meowing at them from her window perch.

"Critter, do you want the boys to pet you?" I asked.

"Meow."

"Okay, you can come on in and pet her--gently."

"Wow! Your house is awesome!" Trouble 2 said as he entered.

Now, there is absolutely nothing awesome about Casa de la Flaming Bore. It ranks a zero on the awesome scale. Red bell peppers--real and ripening ones--are strung across the entertainment cabinet, pictures practically plaster every inch of the wall, the worn sofa and chair are covered with plastic due to the recent cat upchuck issues, and Big Bore moved in the ficus tree and stick cactus when we had a light freeze this week. The stick cactus shot up over the summer. It's a good seven feet tall and looks like a monstrosity. Morning glory vines are entangled in it. Awesomely awful is a better term for the way this place looks.

But little kids are forgiving, and I'm making it my mission this weekend to spiff up the joint a bit. Big Bore is away on a wood cutting expedition, so he's out of the way and not around to tell me NOT to throw out what I think needs tossed. I've already started with the petrified bubble gum and Tootsie Rolls left over in the candy dish from last year's Halloween. A definite candidate for the trash pile. And a shovel is on stand-by when I get to the papers piling up around the computer table. I figure by the time I get finished with the de-cluttering and cleaning that needs to be done, this house is going to look awesome!

No comments: