Monday, October 10, 2011

FEELING OOOOO-ZY

Day three in the mountains. Let's step it up another notch and hike to Ouzell Falls (above), located in Wild Basin, so named because the area allegedly has the most wildlife at Rocky Mountain National Park. I packed my trusty bear repellent and we were off, starting at Copeland Lake (next pic) ---5-1/2 miles round trip and an elevation rise of 960 feet. Take a deep breath and off we go.

This trail basically follows a series of cascading waterfalls the entire way. We were told that a late spring snow in May was still melting its way down the mountain. The rushing water was so loud that we never would have been able to hear a bear approaching until it was shaking a paw right in front of us. As it turned out, one hiker we met up with along the way told us that Big Bore was likely to be the closest thing to a bear that he'd see all day.

Some guy from Iowa took this next picture. Rock and log rolling, baby!

Last year when we were at Copeland Falls, I sat on a log that spanned across the creek. This time around, I played it safer since the water was up and I didn't pack along my rubber ducky life preserver.

Here's the end of the Ouzell Falls trail. Where's my hang glider when I need it?

Tomorrow: hiking to The Loch.

No comments: