Wednesday, October 26, 2011

IS THE HANDWRITING ON THE WALL?

Recently I've read several articles about how computers are making cursive writing extinct. Seems the younger generation prefers to print, and some schools aren't even teaching cursive writing anymore. It's become obsolete, districts say. When I taught high school sophomores, I noticed that more and more students did, indeed, just print their work. And some of the cursive writers produced handwriting that was scarcely legible.

Now, I don't exactly have the best cursive writing in the world, but I do recall learning the "art" of it in 3rd grade and feeling SO excited. Wow! It was like a (w)rite of passage. I could do something just like an adult! I was no longer printing like those baby first and second graders. My handwriting was grown up and sophisticated!

I asked the neighborhood know-it-all, who just happens to be a 3rd grader, if cursive writing is taught at the local school.

"Oh, yes! It's one of my favorites! I almost know how to do ALL my letters in cursive!" she bragged. She recently left us a note when we were gone, written in mighty fine cursive, so I know she's not just blowing smoke. Take that, all you naysayers who are trying to bury cursive writing! Not everyone has yet to become a robotic slave to the evil influences of computers!

The best handwriting I've ever seen belongs to Mama Bore. Each letter a masterpiece. She even studied calligraphy and became adept at it, also. Sadly, as her eyesight has waned, she can no longer see what she writes so she limits herself to her signature and shopping lists. Still, her handwriting beats mine all to pieces. I have two types of cursive writing: "in a hurry" and "not in a hurry." The first is such a challenge to read that I sometimes can't make out what in the world I've scribbled. The second type is reserved for formal writing...cards and letters. Legible, but nothing to brag and write home about--pardon the pun.

I sure hope cursive writing doesn't die out with successive generations. Perhaps it can at least be taught in Ancient History classes or as a hieroglyphics chapter in an archeology textbook. "Preserve Cursive." That's my motto for today!!!

1 comment:

Kayle said...

After high school graduation my Mother went to Western Union Teletype school and they had to print everything. So she started and continued printing everything -- but according to the law her legal name has to be in cursive writing.