Monday, October 17, 2011

SUNDAY EXCITEMENT

Sweet Neighbor Girl greeted me Sunday morning with a news flash: the bugs we'd caught the day before were STILL alive, contrary to what I'd told her would likely happen. She had the evidence with her to prove it. We celebrated on the front porch by demonstrating every dance we could think of: Macarena, YMCA, Chicken Polka, Swim, Jerk, Twist, Monster Mash, Freddie, Dougie, PeeWee Herman Tequila, Hokey-Pokey, Disco, you name it. Fortunately, neither of us thought of the Limbo Rock at the time. Otherwise, I'd be in traction today.

In the afternoon Big Bore and I played a lazy game of horseshoes, which I won 21-11. At the end of every game we have a ritual--we throw two more shoes just for the heck of it. His first one missed badly, and then I made a fatal mistake by saying, "I'll give you the game if you can ring your last toss." And, of course, what does he do but nail that sucker! "Are you still going to give me the game?" he asked. Yeah, but with an asterisk.

At dusk, just as we we were settling down to watch TV, the doorbell rang. Out on the porch were a lovely gypsy and a mini zombie. "We got our Halloween costumes today!!!" the neighbor kids excitedly announced. They came inside to model them, and Critter about jumped through her skin when the little zombie boy started petting her with his rubbery fingers. That was just pretty much enough excitement for one day. Onward to a new week!

No comments: