Saturday, October 8, 2011

TAKING THE PLUNGE

For the past few years, I've needled Big Bore to drive up Fall River Road when we've been at Rocky Mountain National Park, but his bitterly cold feet have always gotten the better of him. Last year, the road was closed due to an early snow, so he had an easy excuse, lame though it was.

Fall River Road is a one-lane, one-way dirt road that winds almost to the Continental Divide at RMNP. I've been on it several times before, and what a drive!!! Surely, Big Bore would share my enthusiasm. But, no, Mr. Scaredy Pants opted out--until now. After we picnicked at the park upon arriving last Monday afternoon, I was more than surprised when he announced, "I think we should drive up Fall River Road."

What did he say? Was I hearing him right? He better not be getting me all jazzed up and then back out.

"Really? What changed your mind?" I had long ago given up whining and pressuring him.

"Well, before we left I Google Earth'ed the road and it didn't look all that bad."

A few years ago Big Bore was computer illiterate, and his phobia of computers was almost as manical as his fear of driving on mountainous roads. Now, however, he is Mr. Google Earth and loves taking virtual trips around the world. He's even tracked down the Great Wall of China. If Google Earth can change his mind about driving up the Fall River, at nine miles long and almost 11,000 feet high, then let's hit the road, Jack!!

He drove up, up, up like a pro, around the switchbacks, and stopping periodically for closer inspection of the sights. No panic attacks or turning green. My hero! Here are some pictures taken along the way, starting at the Fall River Road entrance and ending at the windy tippy top.








Big Bore is so glad he sucked up the courage and thin air to take this adventure!

No comments: