Tuesday, October 25, 2011

SUMMING IT UP

Yesterday was Parent-Teacher Conference in our school district, and Sweet Neighbor Girl came over to announce that her mother was headed off to meet with her teacher.

"Do you think she'll receive a good report?" I asked.

"She'd better! I got straight A's!"

"That's great," I said. " But do you think she'll still have some suggestions to be even better?"

"Hmmmm," she thought. "I can't think of any."

"Do you suppose your teacher will say you talk a little too much?"

"Oh, yes!" she quickly agreed, smiling. "I definitely do talk WAY too much!"

"Do you wave your hand like crazy when you know the answer?" I speak of my own years of experience as a chronic, obnoxious hand-waver while a student at Mound Elementary once upon a time.

"Yes!" she demonstrated enthusiastically. "Call me! Call me! And the teacher will sometimes say, 'Let's give someone else a chance.' But sometimes I'm the only one who knows the answer, and then she'll say, 'Is ______ the only one who knows?' And I am! The other day I was the only one who knew that nine plus six equals fifteen."

Hallelujah! I've found someone who can help me balance my checkbook!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Just popped on to catch up Casa de la Flaming Bore! Always a treat :)

Nancy Evans said...

Hey, Jaime, you old married gal. Are you ready to update your blog? I was glad to see you're writing again. We old Kansas folks are interested in knowing how the small town gal is doing in Chicago.