Thursday, October 2, 2008

DEER HUNTING

Since I am a devoted member of the Loyal Order of Bambi Protectors, I had to take pictures of the deer we saw while on vacation. Now, I know if I lived in the country and my flowers and veggies were being their daily breakfast, I'd be cursing, "Damned deer!" But, there's just something about their gracefulness and serenity that appeal to me. So, without further ado...

My best shot.

Big Bore's best shot.


Oops! The one that got away.


Big Bore kept hoping we'd see a bear and even threatened to leave food outside the cabin to lure one into being our friendly neighbor so he could get a picture, but I made an even bigger threat to ex-communicate him if he did so. The only other so-called wildlife we saw in Colorado was a colony of prairie dogs in the foothills. Sorry, Literary Diva, no pictures of the wild life in the hot tub!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

Well, I'd definitely say if I had to choose a member of the wild kingdom to share my vacation, the deer would be at the top of the list! I'm glad they blessed you with their presence ;)

Sarah said...

How neat are these pictures! They were right up close and personal with you guys. Awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

BB does not want a bear up close and personal!!! I have had encounters in Wisconsin, Illinois and California. Course, I hang out at remote Boy Scout camps a lot in off season. The ones at high altitude in California are awesome and frightening. One rip of those three inch claws and you've had it. And then the bear gets shot which is a really raw deal. One winter a Mama with a hungry baby tore the side off a dining hall to get at one potato chip that had wedged it self in the window channel of the serving line. $6,000 damages later, she got her potato chip!! Last summer, a bear stroked the arm of an old woman napping in a lawn chair outside her tent. My son was immediately issued a permit to shoot it. He trapped it and the Forest Service shot it--an 86 pound female cub of only three years. We all cried.

Nancy Evans said...

The cabin leasing agent said some previous renters had left a door open while they were gone and a bear helped itself to the kitchen and dined. Fortunately, it left the way it entered before they got back.