Monday, October 20, 2008

TRUTH, JUSTICE, AND THE AMERICAN WAY

Maddie's Daddy at 5

Yesterday was my great niece Maddie’s 5th birthday. She went with a Batman theme for her party, since she’s going to be Cat Woman for Halloween, so I guess she’s outgrowing the little kid characters and moving on to the more sophisticated preferences of a 5-year-old. I think I blogged earlier this year that she had given up Dora the Explorer for Strawberry Short Cake, but that relationship apparently didn’t stick.

I don’t recall having any cartoon or comic book idol get-ups when I was as a kid. About all I can remember is, after baths, running down the hallway, bare naked except for the towel around my neck, yelling “Superman!” Fortunately, there are no pictures to account for those occasions.

Maddie’s daddy, however, was very much into morphing into anyone who wore a cape when he was five, as these pictures show. Mama Bore made him the Dracula cape, which also doubled as the Darth Vader cape. My big sister says she saved that vital costume accessory and her grandchildren now wear it, 30+ years later. I’m glad that kids nowadays haven’t gotten so jaded by computerized gizmos that they have ditched dressing up like their idols and using their imaginations to have fun. They grow up too soon, as it is. ---

---Maddie always has her wonderful October birthday party at a big park, and she and her cousins unload their energy on the jungle gym and ride the miniature train, roller coaster, and airplanes. She opens a few gifts, then runs off to play. Opens a few more gifts, eats some cake, then runs off to play again. On the drive home from the 5th festivity yesterday, Mama Bore and I wondered aloud how many more birthdays there will be before Maddie outgrows the park…and her family. Alas, no super hero in a cape will be able to keep that from happening. :(





















1 comment:

Sarah said...

They grow up so fast. She sounds like such an independent girl, always changing her mind and never going with the crowd. Birthday cake is the best.