Monday, October 27, 2008

WWJD?


The other night when I was pedaling in overdrive on the exercise bike and watching Game Show Network, a commercial came on the boob tube that irritated me more than most commercials already do. The product being pushed was a CD called “Christmas at Rockefeller Center.” For the “amazing price” of something like $9.95, we dimwits out in TV land could buy this amazing piece of crass merchandising.

Now, what really got my goat about this CD promo was that about 20 or so of the dancing Rockettes were kicking up their cellulite-free long legs to a jazzed up version of “Joy to the World.” I suddenly had a nightmarish vision of the Christmas manger scene with Mary and Joseph, baby Jesus, shepherds, angels, the three wise men,----and (drum roll, please) “All the way from New York City, let’s give them a great big Bethlehem welcome: the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes!!”

What would baby Jesus do? Start crying, roll over in his cradle, or gape at the gams of those galloping gals?

I don’t mind if the sequined, scantily-clad Rockettes want to make their money by lifting their legs to the little holiday ditties, like “Winter Wonderland” and “Frosty the Snowman” --but please, ladies, drop the songs about Christ’s birth from your repertoire. I’m not a religious fanatic, but, good grief, it just doesn’t seem right! I know I don’t have to buy your stupid CD if I don’t like it, but you’d truly bring a lot more joy to my world if you’d stop prancing around to sacred music. Thank-you and Merry Christmas two months early. End of rant.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

Haven't heard of that, but I couldn't agree more!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Laverne ever thought about putting a few high kicks and Rockettes into the Pagent? I can see the tryouts now. Maybe the voice speaking choir could punctuate their phrases with a kick or two, the robes would have to be shortened first, of course. It would mean a lot more kids could have onstage speaking parts. Ok, maybe you're not going to go for this?

Nancy Evans said...

You know what, Diva, I thought of the SAME thing!! Remember the dancing girls in King Herod's court? I thought of them doubling up on scenes and coming in at the final scene...the manger scene with "Silent Night." Of course, the speaking choir is a great idea, too,---more kids, PLUS you were one of the directors of it!! "Hit it, girls!!" Mercy!

Anonymous said...

I thought you were one of the directers of it?? I still wonder who I went to Prom with though. Wish I'd had you document my life. Couldn't you have taken a few pictures of me in my prom dress?? We have very similar warped minds and that is very, very scarey!!