Saturday, October 4, 2008

ROADSIDE SERVICE


When we were driving through western Kansas last Saturday evening on our way home from Colorado, Big Bore made a sudden stop on Highway 96.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“There’s a wallet in the middle of the highway back there,” he said. He has radar eyes and picks up on everything. Since there was no traffic coming from either way, he just backed the car, opened the car door, picked it up, and gave it to me.

“See who it belongs to,” he directed and resumed driving.

It was a nice brown wallet with a metal KU insignia on it, bereft of driver’s license and money but filled with current credit cards, an insurance card, and a season pass to Dighton football games. Dighton was only a few miles back, so Big Bore edged off the highway, pulled a U-turn, and away we went to turn it in to the police department there. Except we couldn’t find the cop shop in this sleepy little town, so we went to a convenient store and a customer told us it was located in the courthouse.

Well, on a Saturday night in Dighton, the courthouse is locked up and there were no signs indicating where there was a police department inside, so we stopped the next person we saw and found out we’d have to shake the front door to get the attention of a dispatcher. I was nominated for the job. Eventually, after talking to a woman through an invisible intercom, I was buzzed inside, dashed up to the second floor, and slipped the wallet through a security window. The dispatcher said she knew the owner very well…it’s a small town and everyone knows everyone…and she’d get it to him. I told her I was sorry that someone apparently took all his money and driver’s license, but maybe he’d be happy to get the credit cards back.

We got back on the road, about 20 minutes behind schedule, but that was okay. We had done our good deed for the day.

Toby R. Wilson of Dighton, Kansas, we hope you didn’t have much money in that wallet. And may the person who stole it and dumped it out on the highway be cursed forever. The Flaming Bore does not like thieves…or litterbugs!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

That was awesome of you guys. I have lost my wallet before and it is the worst feeling ever. So much hassle canceling everything.

Good Karma for you guys.

dr. maureen said...

Ah, western Kansas where you can back up on the flat highway---seeing forever in all directions.

i do miss home.

too bad you didn't leave your name and address for Toby to thank you!!

last week while grocery shopping in the big store in Winston-Salem, i found a purse in the bathroom stall. took it to the customer service desk. i'm hoping when the lady checked out she realized she was w/o her purse.

Jaime said...

What good samaritans you are! Hopefully, the owner is okay & only his wallet was stolen! Kinda creepy! I know what it's like to have your purse stolen, too! I'm sure he's thanking his lucky stars for the Flaming Bores!

Anonymous said...

I lost my clutch purse on a vist to Kansas many years ago. My husband was very upset but I told him to chill and see what happened. Was not even suprised really when I got home and some stranger had mailed it back to me in Connecticut. What goes around, comes around. Was good of you guys to go out of your way though to return the wallet.

Unknown said...

Stop by my blog. Have something for you.

I am addicted to shuffleboard. We had a table in our lake house. It was the best family fun we ever had!

GLADYS ANNE said...

You are such a Good Samaritan, and
believe me, what goes around does
come back around--always!

Also, one Christmas a couple of years back, all three computer-crazy, technologically savvy sons were home, and all three sat around the kitchen table playing old fashioned dominoes the entire
weekend.