Friday, October 17, 2008

NUMBER, PLEASE

Airhead

Before I left for New Mexico, alone, last week, Big Bore and Mama Bore made me promise to buy a cell phone. The round trip would be over 1,300 miles, and they didn’t want to have to worry for 1,299 of those. So, to make them happy, I went out to ALCO, bought a TracFone and 60 minutes worth of calling on it. That was the easy part. Getting it set up was another story.

The misery began with a call to Ishmael, whose job it was to assign me all sorts of number sets. After 40 minutes on the phone trying to understand him and see various numbers on the phone, we parted--with the idea that I was to plug in the phone and it would be ready to go in about four hours.

The next day, one day before trip departure, I decided to try out my new purchase. The first message on its screen was that I could make collect or credit card calls only. Well, this wasn’t right. So, it was back on the regular phone for TracFone assistance…this time from a female version of Ishmael, who eventually determined that somewhere along the line Ishmael and I got a number messed up. She would have to give me a whole new set of numbers to enter into the cell phone. Midway through the numbers marathon, however, I dropped the regular phone while trying to press numbers on the cell phone. Disconnected!!!

I was so pissed off at this point, I just decided to hell with it. I was taking the cell phone back to ALCO and would hope for the best on the trip to New Mexico…just like I’ve done without a hitch for the past 35 years on the road. Big Bore didn’t even protest my decision. He just sat in his easy chair, mute. He knows not to argue with me when there’s steam coming out of my ears. Plus, he truly does hate cell phones, too.

Well, the good gals at ALCO asked me if I’d keep the phone if they could get it working, since it’s hard to work refunds on them. Fine. Three clerks, one manager, and about 15 minutes later, all systems were go.

As it turned out, I used the cell phone on the trip, just for the heck of it, to see if it would work. I called my hostess once, but she was gone and her message machine was full so that was a zero. I tried calling Big Bore when in New Mexico, but there was apparently no range to connect to him. On the way home, when making a pit stop in Greensburg, I tried calling him again, with no luck. It didn’t dawn on me until I got into the next county, though, that I punched in the cell phone number and not our home number! Duh!!!

I managed to reach Big Bore at the next stop, Pratt, to tell him where I was. Probably a 30-second conversation, if that, but, at last, I was an official cell phone user…with 55 minutes left to use. Ugh!!!

Two days later I drove to Pittsburg to see a friend, 240 miles round trip. The $#@! cell phone stayed home.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Your post made me laugh. I love my cell and could not live without it. On the other hand, it would be nice to be unreachable. ( i just put it on silent) ;)

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, I'm just an old fuddy duddy. I don't even like talking on the "real" phone.

Anonymous said...

I am not a phone person either. Anyone waiting for me to call them is in for a long wait. BUT, I love to hear from people. MY shrink made me buy a cell about fifteen years ago and it is now attached to my arm where a hand used to be. I have health issues and everyone worries about me. So I get lots of calls. When my husband is in Japan I can just set in my chair and people will "check on me" most of the day. I use a lot of the fuctions like the calendar and a Dominoes game to which I am addicted. My DIL sends me a picture or two of the grandgirls every day!! My friend the 13 year old texts me constantly as does my husband's best friend. I adore texting!!! I also love keeping all sorts of information in there--like addresses, emails, etc. And it plays 100 of my favorite songs. I am a hopeless geek and gadget driven. But, my dear, you are safer with the phone in tow. They are taking all the phone booths out. My husband can't wait to put a tracking GPS in my phone!! Sometimes, like when I take my nap--I just turn it off though and when I'm with my hubby, the kids have to dial him as I leave mine next to my chair. Insisting you have a cell is just a way your family has of telling you that they love you and want you to be safe so They won't worry.

dr. maureen said...

so you aren't going to mention the cell phone you brought with you when you took the bus 2 yrs ago to visit me in NC???

the cell phone your sister gave you to enable you to call 911--if needed--but the phone was out of power and she neglected to give you a charger.

i'm glad you finally have a working phone for your trips. you never know when you'll see something you need to report!!!

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, yeah, M2! I forgot about the worthless cell phone I had on the bus trip. And, remember, there WAS a murderer at the bus station in Virginia!