Saturday, October 18, 2008

DOOR PRIZE


Last night Big Bore and I did what we often do when he gets home from work…stimulate our brains by watching Game Show Network. Who Wants to Be as Millionaire had a revolving door of dumbos. Even the audience was stupid. The majority thought a serape was clothing from India. That’s a bunch of New Yorkers for you. We kept yelling at the contestant, “Mexico, you idiot!” He didn’t listen to us.

Next up were two episodes of Family Feud. BB and I are certified geniuses at this game. What I don’t get, he usually does and vice versa. If we ever go on this show, we’d just be a family of two and we’d wipe out the competition. The only problem is, sometimes our brains don’t quite make a complete connection.

For example, one of the categories last night was to name rock bands of the 1960s. We had The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Grateful Dead, and Led Zeppelin out of our mouths in no time. But then I got stuck on the name of a group I just knew would be on the list.

“The ‘Light My Fire’ band,” I said. “Jim Morrison was the lead singer.” I started singing, “Come on baby, light my fire.”

“Try to set the night on FIRE!!!!!” Big Bore screamed.

Well, of course, that didn’t count, and the real contestants said, “The Doors,” before we could get it off the tips of our tongues. Bummer.

What followed, though, was the inspiration to sing a litany of Doors songs that we sort of knew, at first, but then the words ended up badly botched.

“Riders in the skyyyyyyyyy. Riders in the skyyyyyyyy. You know it is a lie. You’re eatin’ apple pie….”

“Come on, come on, come on, touch me babe. Don’t you know that I am not afraid. You’ve got me lyin’ in the shade; you’ve got me flyin’ in the shade….”

“Hello, I love you. Won’t you tell me your name? Hello, I love you. And I sure am ashamed….”

Well, you get the idea here. Family Feud was all but forgotten. If there is ever a TV game show developed that is all about creating the wrong, pathetic song lyrics, we’re sure winners.

6 comments:

dr. maureen said...

were you using the cigarette lighter from the car as your microphone???

Sarah said...

Ah yes, the Doors. I loved them eventhough they were before my time. I even had a Jim Morrison poster in my room. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wayne Brady had a show called Don't Forge the Lyrics that had us singing along for a few episodes. Don't think it got picked up for a second season but was good while it lasted. I got to do all the Janis Joplin songs by myself as Ron didn't catch her. Course, I let him solo the Lettermen--my room mate drove me crazy with repeating her one album--for two years! Our song is a Bobbie Vinton number. At least this was before Hubby turned all country western on me and I had to retaliate with Smooth Jazz. Any time I want to torture him I can remind him of the 24 hour a day Bob Wills tunes that run at his parents' farm. I nearly died laughing one night as he asked me if I could remember the LYRICS to the Mission Impossible theme. I buffaloed him good when I came off with some. He almost believed me. We settled on a rendition of The Pink Panther.

Nancy Evans said...

Ah, Diva, you are sicker than I thought!!! :)

Nancy Evans said...

Ah, Diva, you are sicker than I thought!!! :)

Nancy Evans said...

Ah, Diva, you are sicker than I thought!!! :)