Tuesday, October 28, 2008

FREEZE-OUT


Boo-hoo! Woe is me! We had our first freeze of autumn yesterday and, even though it wasn't a terribly hard one, Big Bore and I still had to say good-bye to a lot of the friends we'd made over the summer. The green beans, morning glory, zinnias, and most of the impatiens are gone, as well as a whole plot of little yellow flowers, perennials, that I never did identify. What's more, the wind blew enough sticks down out of our big elm tree to keep me busy picking 'em up for the rest of the week.

Just this past weekend, the strawberry plants were put to bed for the winter underneath a pile of leaves.

And we brought inside what was realistically savable. Critter has been having fun investigating everything. Right after this picture was taken, though, the philodendron was moved out of harm's way. Cats and philodendron don't mix.

Only the purple mum that bloomed late in the season remains a beauty. As the old gardening saying goes, "You can't keep a good mum down."

Today looks like it will be a fine one for planting bulbs. We're already plotting in our minds what we want to have growing in the yard next summer. Let's see. How many more days is that? 235? Let the countdown begin!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can never keep anything alive long enough to make friends. I do have mums outside that I am very proud of my purchase, I am just trying to figure out how to keep them alive longer. Maybe bring them inside?

Nancy Evans said...

They aren't indoor plants, although I suppose they might keep in your refrigerator for a while longer!! If they are in a pots, plant 'em, cut them back down to just a few inches high, and mulch them over the winter. They should regenerate in the spring and keep cutting them back---till July 1st here in the Midwest...I don't know what it'd be in Canada..otherwise they get tall and scraggly instead of bushy. Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Some mums are perrenials and some are annuals. Perrenials keep on giving, blooming year after year. Annuals bloom for just one season and die, never to be resessitated. Look over any outdoor plants you bring in very carefully as youn don't want to bring any hitchhikers inside with your plants. I brought the cacti and cumkuat tree inside three weeks ago. I am waiting for the orchids to bloom this winter inside. I think my sago palm is not going to make it. I probably watered it too much as I tend to do. I have a green thumb only outdoors. It is a black thumb inside the house. Ron says I am a farmer not a gardner. Was 78 again today here but the boom will hit on Friday and it will be all gone. Snow forecast for the weekend in the hills.