Wednesday, October 22, 2008

KEEP ON TRACKIN'

When at the park Sunday for the big birthday party, I took this picture of my 2-½ year old great nephew Boomer, as he was walking on the miniature train track.

He was mesmerized by the railed road for a long time, silently watching his feet cross the wooden slats, totally ignoring me for about half the loop when he suddenly looked up, put out his hands in front of him, and shouted, “Stop!”

“Where’s Daddy?” he then quietly asked me.

I could sense that he had snapped out of his train track hypnosis and was now more aware of his whereabouts. His parents were out of sight, and this was not good.

“He’s way over there by the picnic table,” I pointed out, but Boomer was too little to spot his dad through the trees and playground equipment. He left the track and took my hand, making a bee line for where I promised him he could find his daddy.

He was jabbering now, most of which I couldn’t understand. He wasn’t crying, but there was a bit of urgency in his tone of voice until his parents finally came into his view. He then let go of my hand and toddled off to them. Boomer had just learned the first rule of serious rail walking: never lose track of Dad and Mom.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That is sweet. ;)
Oh and my mom told me about the garden spider story. You girls are funny.

Dusti said...

I'm feeling a train theme with these recent posts! :-) Cute pic!

Anonymous said...

My son was setting in the middle of a round rack of women's clothes wailing once, "Mother is lost! Mother is lost!" He was three. Evidently it wasn't enough that I knew right where he was at. He was just three and we were in a huge Lerner's Shop in New York City.

Today he is 31 and still calls my cell phone, after failing to get an anser at the house with an accusatory, "Where are you?"