Thursday, November 6, 2008

AUTUMN SUPER LEAVES




















Yesterday I was out raking leaves once again and came across some big honkin’ ones that measured 11 inches squared. I don’t know what kind of tree they fell from but it sure wasn’t from anything in our yard. These were Grade A monsters, as you can tell by this comparison shot. I challenge my oh-so-omniscient readers to tell me what type of tree begat such a dandy.

I’m going to do some private investigating around the neighborhood to find out who is growing this super specimen. Someone around here is using illegal steroids on a tree, and I’m going to get to the bottom of this!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm guessing it's about 300yr. old Oak tree! I'd love to see the size of the acorns! Wowza! (don't think I've ever used that word before =)

Sarah said...

I am not sure what tree it is either, but my neighbor has one and our back yard is full of those huge leave. I think THEY need to come get them out of our gutter and rake our yard. Don't you? ;)

Nancy Evans said...

Big Bore and my email pal Maggie both confirm it's a sycamore.

Anonymous said...

Yup! Sycamore. I have five of them in our yard in Ca. Need I tell you how many bags of leaves they make?? I save extra large ones for a friend who casts them into stepping stones after covering them with a cement slurrey. One of them was 12 inches across and he set it in an 18 inch stepping stone they we put right outside the jacuzzi. Lovely.