Monday, November 3, 2008

VOTING MANIA


T-minus one day and counting! I am so ready to get this election over with! Answering the telephone has put me in an automatic foul mood because half the time it’s some canned campaign speech interrupting my valuable train of thought. (No, we don’t have caller ID telling us, “An annoying politician wants to babble at you.”)

Last night during that highly intellectual Game Show Network program “High Stakes Poker,” Senator Pat Roberts called. Well, I’m happy to report that I got him disconnected faster than you can say, “I’m all in.” (For you gambling neophytes, that’s a poker term that means, according to the Webster’s Dictionary-Flaming Bore edition: “I’m putting in all my chips on this single hand and, Dealer, if you don’t give me some smokin’ cards, my ass is busted.”) So, Senator Roberts, please do not call me when I’m in the middle of betting away my life, unless you intend to bankroll me.

In spite of my current irritation at anything political, over the weekend I did try to engage Big Bore in a deep discussion about the upcoming election.

“Who have you decided to vote for president?” I asked.

“I’m not saying,” he said, uninterested, preferring to watch whatever snore fest was on TV. “They’ve asked me at work, and I told ‘em it’s no one’s business.”

Now, I can see not talking politics on the job, but you’d think he could trust revealing his choice to his favorite bunkmate and the mother of his cat children. I didn’t press the issue, though, other than to ask him if I could write in his name on my ballot for a certain county office that is being contested.

“Hell no! Don’t you dare.”

Geesh. Someone around here has lost his normally liberal sense of humor and gone conservative on me!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I am happy I did an mail in ballot. I did that 2 weeks ago. So my voting is done. Nice and easy, and no waiting in lines for me. I will be happy when I quit getting all the junk mail too.

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking that when the election is over it will be the end of it and then I realize that no matter who is elected, it is probably just the beginning of it!! I voted absentee. When the annoying political workers call me that sort of frosts them. they are so wanting to find someone that is undecided. When every one is staying up counting the red and blue states, I am going to have my nose in a book, as usual! In fact, I may spend the next four years that way!!