Wednesday, November 5, 2008

SIGNS OF THE TIME


It’s over!!! And regardless of the outcome, let’s all breathe a huge, collective sigh of relief. No more political commercials, signboard trash, and evening phone calls from my personal stalker, Senator Pat Roberts. Hooray!!

As much as I’ve gritched about the elections, I stayed up late last night to watch the returns and listen to the speeches. Even though I didn’t vote for him, I like John McCain and admire his military record. Had his presidential predecessor (no name mentioned or my computer may crash) not been such a lame lameduck, he probably would have won. These are such difficult times for so many people that I think they have put their hopes on Obama, and I wish him well in trying to deliver the goods.

If I were a politician running for any office, I would be sooooo glad the campaigning is finally over. A few years ago, I took up the cause of raising the local sales tax 1 percent in order to finance a new library and swimming pool. I was assigned to go door-to-door with information about the issue. My partner gal and I assaulted a portion of the west part of town, which we discovered has a disproportionate number of people who don’t read or swim. I began to feel guilty about knocking on doors when resident after resident struggled to respond because he or she was using a walker or wheelchair. I hated being a pest and will never again volunteer to be an amateur door knocker. Nor would I ever make phone calls in behalf of a candidate or cause. Aiiii!! That, too, would be the pits.

Signboard trash? Yeah, I’d probably take on that duty if I was deeply committed…provided someone else acquired the permission to "stick it" in the ground. I think I’d be much better at removing those signs, though. Yes, that’s definitely my calling. Cleaning up all the campaign crap left behind after the elections. Maybe I’d better go get started. Something just blew across my front yard.










4 comments:

Jaime said...

My sentiments exactly! I'd definitely be up for helping w/ cleanup, too! You know, nobody looking over your shoulder & no deadlines you're concerned with or huge weight on your shoulders!

Dusti said...

I find myself driving around and looking at all the signs thinking, "It's OVER people!" and wishing the things were already gone!

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, Dusti, I was sort of hoping the Sign Fairies would appear over night and get rid of 'em.

Anonymous said...

In California, at midnight after any election, you can take down the signs and turn them into the Rep. or Dem. or Ind. office and get cash. One year a girlfriend with a pickup and I earned our Christmas money this way. This years I knitted scarves and sold them at a craft faire. made a lot more money returning old election signs but not nearly as much as the year in Wisoncin that I delivered phone books to rural adresses in the considerable snow. My husband deducted the cost of the two truck to winch me back out of one driveway from my take though. Nit!