Friday, November 7, 2008

OFF THE WALL


Not too long ago, Bloggerista Jaime inspired me to go around my house and review my artsy possessions. Regretfully, there aren’t any Van Goghs hanging on the walls, but I’ve decided that one of my favorites is this chalky drawing done by my niece Brooke. She gave it to me for Christmas, maybe five years ago, and I absolutely love it.

First of all, the subject is a gray cat. That’s an automatic A+ in my sketch book. Secondly, it’s quirky and unlike anything I’ve ever seen…sort of half cat and half human. I like the way she did the shadowing. The goofy, asymmetric green eyes pop right out, and the tight cropping she did with the matte board make the whole picture look “cool,” which is what I said when I unwrapped the gift and took my first look at it. I hung it in my bedroom. No matter where I am, lying in bed or standing in the doorway, the cat seems to me staring right at me…in a friendly, feline sort of way.

I told Brooke she should get back to the chalkboard and make more drawings, but I don’t think she ever has. So, I consider mine her one-of-a-kind masterpiece. It may never sell for millions of bucks, like a Van Gogh, but I still think it's the cat's meow.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I like it. She should do more, she had such a talent at such a young age.

Jaime said...

I agree! That's a really cool looking pic! Aren't homemade gifts the best!!