Saturday, November 15, 2008

DEVIL'S DEN, PART 2

The old rock 'n roller almost rolled off this interesting rock formation on Devil's Den Trail. Below is the zoom-in on my facial exprssion as I put on the brakes:


Big Bore was a fine sport about going into Devil's Den cave, although he says next time he'll bring along stronger lighting. The camera flash makes the pitch-back cave seem easy going. I waited until after we exited before telling him that last May a teenager was stuck in the cave for 16 hours before being pried out.


King of the Mountain. Big Bore fashioned this walking stick out of fallen hickory, but I bought him a fancy $8.00 model from the park store in return for him not tossing me in the waterfall when I lost my glasses (see yesterday's blog).


During a 3-mile hike up to Yellow Rock overlook, I tested out how well this ledge is holding up.


Today, it's back to November reality and wind chill temperatures in the 20s. We are already planning a return trip in the spring!




















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the pics. I think I've seen similar formations, in about 1965, to the one you pictured as "rock and roller" nearly going over the edge. BB must have a problem with heights. Glad you had a good time. sounds like your weather is colder than ours. We haven't had to turn on our heat yet. My son has been in Fredonia for the past ten days and leaves tomorrow for Sacremento. Nearly drove him crazy. Was a big help to my Mom though.

Sarah said...

So pretty. I am glad you guys had a great time.

Dusti said...

Love all the photos. You've convinced me to head down there for a quick vacation sometime! Looked like a wonderful trip.