Saturday, January 21, 2012

GOING BANANAS

Ever since I had to have potassium mainlained into my left arm at a hospital emergency room four years ago, I have made certain that I eat at least one banana each day. Never miss. Having potassium flow quickly into your veins makes your arm burn and feel like it's going to blow up, so I never want to have to go through that again. Eating a banana a day is a small trade-off.

There is a big bonus around our house for saving our "nanners." In our kitchen Big Bore has a treasured plastic container marked "Banana Peels." Not too long after I eat them, those peels end up somewhere around a plant outside--the rose bush, peony bushes, in his turnip patch, wherever he thinks a little bit of fertilizing "oomph" is needed. He even brought in his red pepper plants once the weather turned cold, overdosed them with banana peels, and they've been producing all winter long.

Banana nut bread, banana pudding, plain old bananas---bring 'em on! Today's motto: "Be like a monkey." Happy peeling.

No comments: