Monday, January 9, 2012

A SILENT SMILE, PART II

If there is ever an old movie that still rings true after 75 years, MODERN TIMES is it. This one starts out with the Little Tramp working on the assembly line job from hell. Time is money and money is time, and the company he works for spares no expense at driving its workers crazy--"faster, faster." The boss even goes so far as to experiment with an automatic feeding machine that is designed to cut back on the minutes needed for lunch breaks. Finally, our hero has had enough and he's hospitalized for a nervous breakdown.

Once discharged, he's mistakenly arrested for being a communist organizer--and it's just as well because labor unions have forced many businesses to shut down and he's jobless. It's in jail where the Little Tramp is happiest. He has a roof over his head and three square meals a day. Who wouldn't be satisfied? When he serves all his time, he begs to stay.

Left out on the street to fend for himself once more, the Little Tramp befriends a starving teenaged girl by taking the rap for her when she steals a loaf of bread. Long story short, they spend the rest of the movie living in a shack, seeking employment--and when it looks like they have finally secured jobs at a night club, their plans once again go awry. The movie ends with them walking into the sunset (above pic), conveying the idea that life isn't so bad because at least they have each other.

Although this is labeled a comedy, and there ARE a lot of funny scenes, MODERN TIMES is truly a statement about the daily "have and have-not" struggles many people are faced with. When it was made in 1936, silent movies were passe--so Chaplin also seemed to be advocating that we need to return to simpler times. Easier said than done. It was the last silent movie he made.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

Okay, you've got me intrigued! I'm going to see if I can find some of these Charlie Chaplain gems on tv. I don't believe I've ever watched a silent-movie, maybe a 5 minute, silent-cartoon, but that's it.

Nancy Evans said...

We saw them on TCM. Like you, I'd just seen shorts and snippets. These were each 90 minutes long. There were sound effects and music, but all the talking was written out. Mostly, you could just figure out what was being said by reading lips and looking at facial expressions. I think anyone who is creative and has a tender heart (like you) would like them.

blondjane said...

I love TCM - havent seen that Chaplin movie either but I will look it up

I love what you wrote about Kayle and your nut hut meeting!
myra

blondjane said...

Hey its me Myra- love your article on the nut hut- while reading I saw this article you wrote about the movie ! Never saw this one with Chaplin.
I love TCM!
During football I watched Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers! Football has no spell on me! lol

blondjane said...

I have NO idea why my computer posted twice - unless it went thru and I just didnt know it the 1st time,,sorry bout that!