Tuesday, January 10, 2012

WORD FOR THE DAY

My favorite word in the dictionary--I don't know them ALL, but I know more than the average gumball--is flibbertigibbety. (Middle English, 15th century, from flepergebet, according to Webster). It's the adjective form of that crazy noun flibbertigibbet: "a silly, flighty person." So, whenever you're in goofball mode, you can dazzle your friends by saying, "Man, am I ever feeling flibbertigibbety today!" or if your friends are annoying you, get their attention with, "Quit being so flibbertigibbety!" This word also works as a great substitute for profanity, as in, "That flibbertigibbety toilet has backed up again!" -or- "Oh, flibbertigibbet! I just spilled a gallon of paint all over the cat!" Try out this word on someone today and you're guaranteed to make him or her think you've lost your flibbertigibben' mind--or just gone plain flibbertigibbety. Hooray for words!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

LOL I have used that word before. I love it too!