Wednesday, January 11, 2012

OOPS, SHE DID IT AGAIN

Our Friends of the Library meeting was cancelled Monday night, so I took it upon myself to de-trim the two library Christmas trees by myself yesterday. There's a big, designer tree in the reading room and a smaller, less elaborate one in the community meeting room. Surely I could handle this solo without causing too much damage. "When you hear the tree in the reading room come crashing down, you're in charge of picking me off the floor and calling 9-1-1," I told the assistant library lady.

Actually, the only casualties of the morning were three ornaments. A glass one shattered to smithereens when it fell to the floor, and when a plastic snowflake dropped, one of the six ends snapped off. The poinsettia topper on the big tree was the biggest challenge because it was stuck to the fake pine like glue, and I had a heckuva time removing it. "What blipping genius attached this in the first place?" I asked myself while tippy-toe'ing on the step stool. "Oh, that's right. I did!" So, I worked and worked on it and finally got it removed, but one of the petals came dislodged in the process.

I swept up the busted ornament and took the two fixable ones home for a glue job. Hopefully they will be ready for service again next Christmas. I left the newly-bare trees standing for some big, strong person of the masculine persuasion to return to the library attic. The Flaming Bore doesn't volunteer to pick up objects heavier than a loaf of bread or put together/take apart anything that demands a scintilla of brainwork. Fortunately, being a Friend of the Library doesn't require a lot of muscle or skill--other than knowing how to pick up and operate a glue gun.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I must say the tree in the Community Room is always a delight! Most of my family has moved out of Eureka; however, it's still the central locale for us to meet up at over the holidays. So, the past few years we have had our extended family Christmas in that room.

It always puts a smile on my face, when I see someone has taken the time to put a tree in there. We may not be at home, but we still have a Christmasy feel. Now, I know one of those "someone's" that have contributed to that. Thank you, N :))

Nancy Evans said...

I'll share your comment with the Friends group. The little tree in there is just decorated with a hodgepodge of items we brought from home, unlike the fancy tree in the reading room. Glad to know it's appreciated. :)