Friday, February 22, 2008

BIRTHDAY BOYS


Today is February 22nd, birthday of our favorite face on the one-dollar bill, George Washington, AND birthday of my favorite face to laugh with, Big Bore. He got an early present from me last month, so when Mama Bore and I were doing our Wal-Mart gig Tuesday, I was just there to get him a card.

"Aren't you going to bake him a cake?" she asked.
"Oh, he's dropped a hint to the cooks at work to bake him one."
"What's his favorite cake?" she asked, headed to the bakery section.
"Angel food with strawberry frosting."
"Well, that's the easiest kind there is to bake," she said, reeling out all the ingredients.

Mama Bore knows I am the world's worst cook. Growing up, I never had the inclination to stay in the kitchen to learn a trick or two from her. I wanted to go outside and play. Nevertheless, I became quite skilled at playing and quite clueless at cooking. When Big Bore became my housemate, he went into shock when he opened the refrigerator and found just three items: cottage cheese, yogurt, and Cheez-Its. I'd purchased a brand new oven six months earlier and had yet to turn it on.

So, I had no argument with Mom when she decided to buy Big Bore a big angel food cake made by the loving hands of Wal-Mart, and a tub of pre-made Pillsbury strawberry frosting. The least I can do is slather the icing on the cake. Surely I can't mess this up too badly. I've kept her present to him hidden, with plans to give it to him this afternoon when he gets home from work. Last night, he said that one of the cooks promised him a cake today, but I'm sure he won't mind having a second one. Big Bore has never been one to turn away good food. Especially from angels.







8 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!! That cake sounds good!!

Nancy Evans said...

Hey, Tara--Remember the time in yearbook class when we had the yummy cinnamon roll baking contest?! Of course, I didn't enter but I sure enjoyed eating what the others made.

Unknown said...

Those were good, but if I remember right didn't someone make rock hard ones? Or maybe those were mine that I didn't enter?? I am a horrible cook too, thank goodness Jason can cook. We might starve otherwise...

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Bore!!!
Enjoy the cake.

Nancy Evans said...

Well, Tara,I just remember that Jon Phelan was the winning cinnamon roll baker and we didn't go for the raisins in Clint's, even though he was a State Fair ribbon winner. My last attempt at yearbook affair cooking was the year after Robin Clasen graduated. I tried to replicate her yummy velveeta/rotelle dip, and it was a total bomb. I burned it--in a crock pot slow cooker, no less--and it had the substance and appearance of baked beans. No one dared eat it...it was really scary looking! I don't think I've cooked since.

Dusti said...

Happy Birthday Bore! It's my mom's birthday too! Hope you all celebrate through the weekend!

(People with February birthdays don't have to count them when there's a leap year.)

:-) Dusti

Nancy Evans said...

Well, you tell Mama L. to have a happy day! Yeah---I've heard that myth about you February babies. Dream on!

Anonymous said...

My hubby is 59 today, Feb. 26th. His mama always made him a Red Velvet cake but I didn't want to compete so never did. Cake is not on our diet anymore anyway. My little Evelyn turned three on February 23rd. She had a fab Pirate Party. These Pisces people are sure sweet. Give the BB a Big Hug for me.