Monday, February 18, 2008

HAIL TO THE CHIEF


Today is Presidents Day, so here's a list of how close I've become to our Chiefs over the years:

1. Saw Lyndon Johnson for a nanosecond in a 1966 motorcade in downtown Denver. "Was that him?"
2. Saw the White House and monuments to Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln when making a speed tour of Washington, D.C. back in 1985.
3. Been to Mount Rushmore a few times.
4. Been to Eisenhower Home and Museum in Abilene, KS.
5. Been to Truman Home and Museum in Independence, MO. Bought a magnet with Truman's famous line: "The Buck Stops Here." It's been on my refrigerator for about a dozen years.
6. Been to the Texas School Depository Museum in Dallas, TX, sight of JFK's assassination.

Geesh---I guess that's about it. I'm collecting the Presidential Dollars. Does that count? I own a Grover Cleveland campaign mug, circa 1888, which is kind of neat. That's about all the Presidential ties I have, though. For reasons that are best left unwritten, I don't see myself dashing off to Arkansas or Texas any time soon to view the Clinton or Bush treasures...but I wish them a happy day, nonetheless.




No comments: