Thursday, February 21, 2008

I LOVE FLUFFY


It is has now been two years since Big Bore and I adopted Fluffy. She'd been languishing in a cage at PetSmart in Wichita for over a month, and I just couldn't stand to see her in there any longer, so we took her home---matted hair, bad eye, and all. She was a true Fraidy Cat, not sociable at all. The adoption worker said she'd been abused; our vet said she was blind in one eye, most likely having been kicked, the optic nerve severed. No wonder Fluffy shied away from us.

Well, we eventually got all the mats cut and brushed out of her hair, but it took a lot longer for her to warm up to us. Over a year, in fact. Now, though, she will lie on the sofa with me, nudge us to pet her, and she has become a best playmate to Critter and Bits. They stampede about the house like wild horses, sometimes traipsing over us. It's hilarious to watch them.

I write about this because yesterday, when in Wichita, I stopped by PetSmart to buy some cat food and litter and to look at the cats there that are up for adoption. There were so many and, of course, I wanted to take all of them home. I told them how good looking they were and that someone nice would adopt them. Was anyone listening in and laughing at me? Aw, who cares.

If I had a huge house, I would probably have more cats. I would take in all the strays that nobody wanted and give them food, shelter, and love. People would whisper, "There's the Crazy Cat Lady of Eureka." It would be a noble title.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Your so sweet to take Fluffy in. We 3 cats and I would love more, but the litter box is a chore and the hair is bothersome. We adopted them, and love them so much. They have such personalities. It breaks my heart to hear of abuse.

Unknown said...

Thats how we got all our animals except the rott. All of them kept showing up at our house in Joplin. My mom says our house has blinking sign that tells the animals to come to my house for food and TLC. We have a zoo now and can't get any more for awhile. I try to stay away from those situations because I would take them all home and worry about where to put them later!!