Sunday, February 17, 2008

NO CELL


Yesterday's blog leads in to this one. A few years ago, I read Stephen King's novel Cell, about cell phone users who turn into zombies. "Ah hah!" I thought. "Another good reason not to own a cell phone!" A few more reasons, perhaps more realistic, are as follows:

1. I am not in an occupation that would benefit from having a cell phone. Since I have retired, my main job is to feed the cats and clean out their litter boxes twice a day. So far, the cats have not had to summon me with their little cell phones to get this done. A simple "meow" suffices.

2. I have not had a roadside emergency since June, 1973, north of Dallas, Texas. Since then, I have been through 47 states, from coast to coast and border to border without a hitch. Now, I don't want to be jinxing myself here, but I think one breakdown in 44 years of driving doesn't really merit me rushing right out to Cellular One.

3. I don't have a burning desire to find out what my friends and family are doing every minute of the day.

4. If I do have the burning desire to find out what my friends and family are doing, I can get off my lazy ass and walk the 15 feet to the regular phone.

5. I'd rather spend my money on something I really want or need--like food, shelter, and cat litter.

6. It's just one more damn thing for me to break or lose.

The End

No comments: