Saturday, February 9, 2008

PARKING WITH MOM


Yesterday was my mom's 84th birthday. Since I'm germ-ridden right now, we decided to wait until next week before I take her to Independence for lunch at Arby's, shopping at Wal-Mart, and a drive around the Riverside Park and Zoo. Every month or two we do the same routine. When it's warmer, we park the car at the zoo and make the rounds--checking on the monkeys, birds, and the little South American donkey with its swayed back. We tend to talk to them like they are old friends and toss peanuts to the monkeys....just like we did fifty years ago. Mom was a divorced, working parent trying to raise five kids alone, but she always took time to treat us to trips to Independence. The summertime carousel rides ("I get the red horse!") that cost a nickel back in the 1950s still cost a nickel, but the mini-train ride has gone from a dime to a quarter. Can't beat a deal like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Probably not to tell you this but Arby's here just came out with little chocolate tarts or pastries (they usually just had apple and cherry). My husband gives them the highest of ratings. Best when they are warm, be sure and get napkins! Cannot believe your Mom is 84. I never remember her setting down and usually as a blue running down the hall. Ahe was certainly always superb to me though and recognized my accomplishments with just as much enthusiam as yours. I can still her her calling that one dog, "Pooooo---bah!" when I dropped off your Jelly Belly pin a few years ago, she was so thrilled to see me. One special lady. Happy birthday, Marge!! You were Super Mom before it was cool.