Saturday, February 2, 2008

BUSTED!!!!!


My personal most mortifying moment in history was when I tried out for 7th grade cheerleader. I should have known better to even remotely think that I was cheerleader material. Only three girls would be elected, out of about thirty who were trying out, and I came nowhere near possessing the Three C's of Cheerleading---cuteness, coordination, and cartwheeling. I did, however, have a loud mouth and lots of energy, so in my pathetic 13-year-old mind I met the qualifications.

I was put in a group of three other girls, and we were assigned to do the following cheer:

B-E-A-T BEAT 'EM
B-U-S-T BUST 'EM
BEAT 'EM, BUST 'EM
THAT'S OUR CUSTOM
BEAT 'EM, FREDONIA
BUST 'EM!!!

It was the absolute worst!!! How could we do a cheer that had the word BUST in it? All the boys would laugh. Worse yet, we had to worry about keeping our own busts from flying under our shirts every time we did the dramatic B-U-S-T BUST 'EM leap. But I couldn't let that stop my enthusiasm for trying out. I just HAD to get elected cheerleader. It would be my key to popularity and boyfriends for the remainder of my life.

Well, to make a long story short, three cute, coordinated, cart-wheeling blondes were elected cheerleaders from our class. I was relegated where I belonged all along--yelling with the Pep Club. I never again tried out for cheerleader--my tender ego couldn't handle sure defeat--but I found other talents to get me through high school. I was a swell speller. That counted for something.

Nowadays, girls in our local junior high school don't have to try out to be cheerleaders. They just show up for practices and they're IN. I suspect this policy has a great educational benefit: it eliminates all the busted hopes of many insecure 7th grade losers so they can concentrate more on their popularity and boyfriends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My little Latina friend decided she would tryout for cheerleader last year in sixth grade. She got selected. She was so pleased. Later when she thought about it, she found out that the boys on the soccer team, all Latinos, had gotten to pick. All those little blondes lost out flat! I cheered! And then I found out she was only cheerleader for six weeks. It was actually a positive experience for her. I was very fearfull, remembering how you had fared.

Sarah said...

I remember when they changed the rules at Eureka. I prefer it the old way. Where you had to try out to get it. The cheerleaders were the popular pretty (talented) girls. It use to be a big deal. Now being a cheerleader in Eureka is nothing special.
Rejection is something we need in life. It makes you stronger.

Dusti said...

Ha ha. You're bringing back baaaad memories here! I had a similar horrifying esperience and, like you, I can't imagine what possessed me to think I'd make the team? I blame it on wanting to be as cool as Hilary Carpenter. ;-) Even speaking as a rejected cheerleader, I prefer the public try-outs. That made the cheer squad more of a sport. I remember REALLY looking up to the cheerleaders back in the day. You wouldn't have wanted Yearbook to be open to everyone in the school, would you? Plus I agree with Sarah, rejection is part of life. Kids should have a little more of it to be better prepared for life!

Nancy Evans said...

Well, you old Eureka rejects, now that they've opened the jr. high cheer squad, the numbers seems to be dwindling. It's "cooler" to be in sports. Of course, back in "my day" girls sports had yet to make the scene. We couldn't even be in phys. ed. after 9th grade. Now, Literary Diva was thrilled about that because she was a....Literary Diva!!!!!! Right?! Come to think of it,I was thrilled, too. LD and I had the PE teacher from HELL!!!!