Sunday, February 24, 2008

SUNDAY MORNING SNIPPETS

Eureka has lost its first soldier to the war in Iraq. Bryant Mackey was killed Wednesday when a grenade struck the vehicle in which he was riding. I didn't know him but taught his older brother and am acquainted with his parents. I feel so sad for them.

There's been a big fuzzy gray cat running around in the neighborhood lately, and I keep thinking it might be my long-lost Shadow cat who has been missing for two years. It was on my front porch this morning, but when I went outside to try to get a closer look, it took off. I've set out some food for it, so maybe it will come back. Okay, so I'm a hopeless case.

It snowed again last night. The only good thing about it is that it covered the ice rink on the driveway, so now I am less apt to fall on my face. I tried going for a walk yesterday but only made it around the block before I relented to the ice and gave up. I then walked around the yard looking for tulips and daffodils peeking up from the ground. Dream on.

HGTV (Home and Garden) is my favorite weekend network. I love watching yards and homes being transformed. Since retiring, I'm always coming up with projects for my own little piece of the world. Big Bore especially likes the outdoors ones, plus he likes to find new uses for old things. He also loves feeding birds. We have the fattest blue jays and cardinals in town.

Twenty-six days until Spring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Shadow is visiting you and NO! you are not crazy.

You know, I will always remember how every night when we were kids, it was so amazing how many men had died in Vietnam that day. I remember then loading the bags off the airplanes day after day on the six o'clock news. 260,000 men died in that war. Seems impossible! I always wonder what those men might have done in this world had they each lived, how the world might be different with thos specific people aging away right now? My sympathy to this boy's parents and future wife and future children that will never be. That is such a loss to us all.