Saturday, February 16, 2008

A CAMPAIGN IN JEOPARDY


I've decided that the Presidential candidate who gets my vote in November will be the one who disrupts my life with taped telephone campaign messages the fewest number of times.

Since retiring, I've found that I enjoy my free time more and more and I want to be bothered less and less. So, when the phone rang a few weeks ago and I answered to, "Hello, this is John McCain...." I was tempted to hang up before another word was spoken. Then, I got to thinking: "My gosh. This man spent over five years in a Vietnamese POW hell hole in the name of my freedom. Surely I can give him a minute of my time." I listened to Senator McCain's canned message, he politely thanked me, and that was that.

But the next day, when the telephone rang in the middle of my favorite television show, Jeopardy!, I was less enthused when I answered to the voice of, "Hello, this is Cindy McCain, wife of...." I cut her off quicker than you can say, "I'll wager a true Daily Double, Alex."

Jeopardy! is sacred in this household. I watch it three times a day, Monday-Friday. When Big Bore isn't at work, he watches it with me. We predict how well we will do with the designated categories, shout out our answers, wager make-believe cash for Final Jeopardy, and give each other "low-fives" from his recliner and my sofa when we do better than the real contestants. Alex Trebek is our game show god. Do not disturb during Jeopardy!

So, that's my voting theory for this year. If those candidates call to solicit my support at the polls, they better make it during a commercial!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We quit answering the house line four years ago. People now call me when they want to call to see if it is convenient. Have tendonitis so this is all for today.