Tuesday, February 12, 2008

BUTTON UP


Before I ever had real friends or invisible make-believe friends, I had button friends. They lived in my mom's button jar and came in all sorts of beautiful shapes and colors. I would dump the buttons from the jar and sort them into piles...red ones, blue ones, yellow ones, etc., then find ones that looked alike. Sometimes there were large, medium, and small ones of the same style and color, so they became a family. Buttons that were a same style but different color were relatives. It was all quite scientific, like genus and species!


My favorite activity for the buttons to do was to have weddings. Button family and friends of the bride and groom would sit in lines of "pews." The bride was always a white button, of course, and the groom was a black button. Bridesmaids were the same color, style, and size of button. As I write about this, it sounds totally bizarre and, in fact, many years ago my mom told me that my father and she had argued about my button friends. He apparently thought I needed psychiatric help, while she thought I was just being creative. She won out.


I don't think this phase in my life lasted more than a year, but I still dig buttons. I've made bracelets out of them, glued them on flower pots, stuck them on cloth calendars, whatever. Diamonds are not this girl's best friend. It's buttons!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

We are kindred spirits. I would play with a jewelry box full of clip on earrings. When you flip out the back, that was their face and long nose. The fancier the earring the more prestigious the character. I am proud of my imagination and I think Taylor is going to be the same way.

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, I know what you mean! My button brides always were the fanciest white buttons I could find. Well, you and I can enroll at the Funny Farm together some day.

Sarah said...

At least we will have things to do when we are locked in there.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the fantastic jewelery, necklaces mainly, they make out of buttons now? I've only seen them at fraft faires but will think of you next time I see one.