Tuesday, April 8, 2008

BIRD POWER


I woke up with a basketball hangover this morning--and I don't even drink alcohol! Last night KU made the greatest court comeback of all time, after the Memphis Tigers choked up a gigantic hairball. The Jayhawks are now the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!


I regret to say that with two minutes left in the game, I was preparing to write my concession speech. No team would be able to overcome a 9-point deficit. Wave the white flag. The party's over. But the boys in blue didn't quit. Just the right amount of Kansas Mojo suddenly hit the floor--missed free throws by Memphis, on-target field goals by KU. When Mario Chalmers's 3-point Hail Mary ripped the net with two seconds left in regulation play, to tie the game, I was screaming and jumping and waving my holey, good luck Kansas t-shirt in the air. There was no doubt who was going to carry the momentum into overtime and win the game! KU-75, Tiger Kittens-68.


I'm going out to buy myself a new t-shirt...one that says KANSAS JAYHAWKS--2008 NCAA BASKETBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Please tell me its a nightmare and I am going to wake up soon. They really won? This will take a few days for the shock to wear off...

They played good and thankfully Memphis didn't hit those free throws. With a little bit of luck, the game was their's.

Anonymous said...

It was a fine evening NG!! I put my post under yesterday's item as I was either up earlier or later than you, depending on perspective. PS. He had a second interview with a local firm yesterday. Two companies still in the game but this may take at least a month longer. Despair sets in intermittently. More cudos for your epistle.

High Margin said...

Unemployed chemist looking for size large KU championship shirt on credit??? Pleading for you to do his shopping. Will reimburse later when job comes through???

Nancy Evans said...

HIGH MARGIN, I'D BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO GET YOU A CHAMPIONSHIP T-SHIRT NEXT TIME I'M IN WICHITA. DO YOU WANT BLUE, GRAY, OR RED? I'LL BE GOING WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK.

Dusti said...

I can see you freaking out at that last minute shot and it just makes me happy!

Dusti said...

I heard a poem last night and thought of you. Here's the author reading it online. I should warn you it's called "slam poetry" and although the version I heard last night was edited and read by a high school girl, this one isn't. You still might get a kick out of it.

Dusti said...

http://cellfish.com/multimedia/110451

That's the link to the unedited audio.

Nancy Evans said...

DUS--I WENT TO THAT WEBSITE AND HEARD A RANT ABOUT BEING A TEACHER. IS THAT THE ONE YOU MEANT? TAYLOR MALI WAS HIS NAME, I THINK, AND IT WAS HIS ANSWER TO THE QUESTION: "WHAT DO YOU MAKE BEING A TEACHER?" HE WAS REALLY WOUND UP. AND I HAD TO LAUGH ABOUT HOW HE'D POUND SPELLING THE WORD "DEFINITELY" INTO HIS STUDENTS, AS THAT WAS ONE OF MY PET PEEVE WORDS THAT KIDS WOULD OFTEN MISSPELL. THAT, AND "SOPHOMORE." ONE TIME I TOLD A CLASS,IN GEST, "YOU CAN'T GO ON TO YOUR JUNIOR YEAR UNTIL YOU CAN SPELL SOPHOMORE CORRECTLY," AND SOMEONE SAID, "REALLY?"

Unknown said...

Was that our class, because I think I remember you telling someone that? Or maybe you were saying that in yearbook.

High Margin said...

Color is not as important as getting one that has the Jayhawk on it. DO we need to arrange a phone convo for me to help you with your IPOD?

Thanks for chasing down a shirt for me.

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, Tara I was ALWAYS on my bandstand about spelling sophomore correctly. "If you're going to be a sophomore all year, you'd better know how to spell it!!!"

Mr. Margin---I will be in Wichita soon scouring for Championship t-shirts. I will make sure it has ALL the important details on it!!
Kid I tutor will be over by the weekend to ipod me!