Saturday, April 12, 2008

HUR-RY UP!


In follow-up to my previous blog about horsing around, last night I re-watched my all-time favorite movie scene involving horses--the chariot race in Ben-Hur. The Academy Award winner from 1959, it was part of Charlton Heston Movie Night on AMC, since the actor died this past week. I'm still amazed at how that scene was filmed. It involved 78 horses, 15,000 extras, and took five weeks to film! Nowadays it would all be digitalized by computer techno wizards, but this scene was the real deal...well, stunt men were used, so it wasn't actually actor Stephen Boyd high diving into chariot oblivion, but, still, it's a wonder it could be staged. I get breathless just writing about it.


Big Bore and I started watching the epic at 8 PM, but he ran out of horsepower and didn't last past the 2-hour intermission of the almost 4-hour movie. When the big scene was about to start, I went galloping into the bedroom yelling, "The chariot race is coming up!" --thinking that he would surely want to jump right out of bed and cheer on Charlton (aka: Ben-Hur) with me. "Oh, boy," he mumbled and went on back to sleep. Big Bore apparently adheres to the "Just Say Neigh" philosophy of watching late night movies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am currently Tivoing all the 100 American Film Institute's top 100 films and transferring them to DVD's, not an easy task. The Ben Hur movie was one of my choices. Most of the movies I am collecting are on MAC or Turner Classic Movie channels. Also listened to Chicago yesterday. Are you sure you and I weren't twins separated by two houses?? Got your package. Thanks. Printed you out a contents of sorts for your new contraption and am mailing it to you snailmail. by the way, I had totally forgotten why you were mysteriously missing, as was Nancy Sue, at all my occasions below grade five. Had to have you remind me why!! Thanks. I, obviously have forgotten everything I every experienced!! And no, I still have no clue on my prom date but do remember the theme and decorations and how Stephanie Stotts looked in her Mom's rubies.

Nancy Evans said...

SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO BE BUSY FOR A LONG TIME WITH THE TIVO! I REMEMBER CUTTING OUT THE ATI TOP 100 FILM LIST AND PINNING IT UP ON MY BULLETIN BOARD HERE AT THE HOUSE FOR THE LONGEST TIME.

YEAH, IF YOU WEREN'T A MOUND SCHOOLER OR A METHODIST, I WASN'T ON THE PLAY LIST UNTIL JUNIOR HIGH!

WELL, YOUR JUNIOR PROM DATE MUST HAVE MADE A BIG IMPRESSION--HA! WHO WAS STEPH'S DATE?