Thursday, April 3, 2008

LET'S PLAY

(Flaming Bore looking motherly in "Our Town")

At a gab fest last night with some gal pals, I learned that our school may be dropping its speech and drama curriculum after this year. The teacher has resigned and the classes are small...mainly because kids have fewer electives thanks to (shudder) President Bush's No Child Left Behind debacle. I think it's a darned shame. Where else are young people going to learn to speak coherently? Oh, never mind. I forgot. Text messaging has eliminated any need for oral discourse in the real world.


Still, I think theatrical productions are important. Although I was never leading lady material and was always assigned minor roles, I had some of my finer moments in high school "acting up" behind stage. I had lots of extra time on my hands waiting in the dark to deliver my four or five lines, so I got to sit on guys' laps rehearsing and giggling, well, actually just giggling. It was a great setting for learning the fine art of flirting.


Our junior play was "Teahouse of the August Moon," a comedy about an army captain (played by Windy; see March 13th and 30th blogs) sent to Americanize a Japanese village after World War II, with the help of an interpreter, Sakini (played by Rat; see Jan. 17th blog). The rest of the cast of 40, including a goat, were the villagers. I was Old Woman's Daughter--so insignificant that I didn't even have a name--so you know that my best lines were, indeed, delivered behind the scenes with the guys. (Old Woman, my stage mother, was played by Literary Diva; see March 24th blog.)


Our director was Mr. C., the Spanish teacher. Now, we did have a speech and drama instructor at our high school, but she had learned through prior experience that she no longer wanted the chaos in her life of whipping a mob into shape for a major production. She was married to the school superintendent, so it was easy for her to cop out and have the directorship dumped on someone else. That's where Mr. C. came in. He was young, creative, and enthusiastic, so he filled the bill.


The most memorable event in the play, in my mind, came during rehearsals. A golf cart was being turned into an army jeep, and the boy driving it, Jimmy Mac, was hesitant about how to maneuver it through the double doors into the auditorium. It was tricky, and Mr. C. was getting impatient with Jimmy Mac's attempts, so, being the director, he finally decided to show him how to do it. That's what directors are for...right?


The rest of the cast was sitting in the audience seats watching attentively as Mr. C. proceeded to take charge. Out in the hallway, he gunned the engine of the golf cart, which then roared into the auditorium, out of Mr. C.'s control, blasting out the first row of seating. Fortunately, no one was seated there, but a group of us in the second row screamed and jumped, then began laughing hysterically with everyone else...except Mr. C., who was muttering swear words as he dislodged the cart from the busted chairs. I have no clue how he explained the accident to the powers-that-be at our school, but it was the last play he directed at FHS and, sadly, he moved on to another school a few months later.


Our senior play, the drama "Our Town," was directed by an English teacher fresh out of college. It was nowhere nearly as much fun as doing "Teahouse," and no collision insurance was required, but my character did have a name.


6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh how sad! I loved drama and all the plays at our school. I think I still have an award I won for best actress for playing an old lady that couldn't remember her lines. (hard role)

Drama and Forensics was such a huge part of my highschool days, I mainly got into drama because of a crush I had for Mr. Josh Evans. But I made so many friends and had some fun times behind those curtains and on stage.

Too bad. ;(

Dusti said...

I agree with Sarah, and I know we had some good times together in the many plays we did. She might have been the one with the crush on Mr. Josh Evans, but I was Candy Apples and we fake kissed (hand over mouth even) in one of the crazy plays we did! teeheehee. Good times. I loved being in Steel Mangolias the most though, just because of the group of girls we did it with.

My favorite award is probably the best blooper award I got for falling on my tailbone while walk/running off stage. One of my most graceful moments. :-) But hey, does anyone else remember the year I was stage manager for Diary of Anne Frank and that cat got out of the dressing room and walked on stage just as Mr. Josh Evans was asking "Where's Miska?" or whatever the cat's name was? The cat ended up jumping off stage and I grabbed it in front of the audience. Big fun! :-)

We had crazy forensics/drama teachers all through school. I always hoped that after we graduated they would bring in someone who would be ambitious enough to produce musicals too. I should have figured that instead they'd do away with the whole show. :-/

Good times aside, I would have to say that all those things - drama and forensics - were what got me a great scholarship to a very expensive 4 year college. I was one of very few who applied for the scholarships in fine arts and I picked up several memorial type awards on scholarship day my senior year too. It might not be a big deal to too many kids right now, but it sure was big money for me by the time I graduated!

Ahhh. sad.

Sarah said...

I do remember The Diary of Anne Frank. I also remember Fletcher stepping on a tack that had fallen on the floor. I was Margot in that play. Oh the fun memories.. Steel Magnolias was so fun! Dusti what about our trip to St. Louis with Mr. Kniesly. ha ha, now that was crazy.

I forgot about your over the mouth kiss, and I would be jealous too but Mr. J and I might have shared a few real ones if ya know what I mean. But the dressing room will never tell. heheheheh.

Dusti said...

:-) Yes, yes, yes, you were the one who got the real kisses during our high school plays... But I'm glad we both enjoyed that trip to St. Louis! hahaha. We should quit reminiscing on here before we get in trouble, although since we're leaving these comments on Nancy's blog I'm sure she's enjoying them!

Nancy Evans said...

Well, it sounds like my experiences in stage productions weren't much different than yours---tons of fun. What happens back stage, stays back stage!!! You two definitely had a flair for comedy. ANd I do remember the cat having a "walk-on."---- I don't think a final decision has been made yet about dumping the program, but the info came from a good source. I hope the parents will pitch a fit about it.

Dusti said...

I hope they do too! Keep us updated on all the "drama!"