Wednesday, April 16, 2008

GROUNDED!


Last night, Critter Kitty about became a slice of road kill. Now that the weather is nicer, she has become more of an indoor/outdoor girl. There's a big vacant lot next door, and she likes to run around in it, chasing leaves. Big Bore and I are usually outside with her, and yesterday evening we were sitting on the front porch talking about our activities of the day while watching Critter play. She was hunkered down, spying on a robin, when the bird suddenly darted up in the air and across the street. Critter took off after it...looking like one of those ravenous African lions you see in National Geographic films, in pursuit of its prey...not seeing a van approaching.


"Critter, get back!" I screamed. There was no stopping her. "CRITTER!!!!!" I closed my eyes, not wanting to see the results of cat versus car. The second scream was so loud, though, that the cat AND the van stopped in their tracks. The driver eventually slowly moved on, and Critter toodled on across the street, oblivious to her narrow escape. Relieved that my baby had used up one of her nine lives, I went after her. She was rolling around curbside, in her best "Aren't I cute?" position.


"You get yourself home, little girl. You about gave me a heart attack!" She submitted herself to my hands and I carried her back to the house. "You are IN trouble."


Big Bore and I decided we have raised a heathen child, and we must be more careful about supervising Critter. This means, that for now, until my heart rate gets back to normal, outdoors is off limits. She stays inside!!

No comments: