Thursday, April 24, 2008

MAY I HAVE THIS DANCE?


Yesterday I tip-toed through the tulips at Botanica in Wichita. I took my trusty camera, attempting to show how beautiful the gardens are at this time of year. Spring is nature's apology for making us suffer through winter. ---When I was a college English major, it seemed that, next to love, nature was a frequent topic for the great poets. I never could figure out why T.S. Eliot proclaimed April "the cruelest month" in his poem, "The Wasteland." I much preferred William Wordsworth's response to spring: "....my heart's pleasure fills and dances with the daffodils." ---I haven't gone so far as waltzing with the flowers in my yard--yet, but shaking a leg and a leaf might be fun to try.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Very pretty, I want to see more pictures!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Spring child! I will explain it to you. Fall is my favorite season. I detest Spring. It is always late. It is always inconstant. It is always reminding me of how I want to change and start all over on something I've messed up but good. And it is also kinda' gaudy. We lived in a development in Wisconsin where all front yard plantings had to be non-seasonal. I loved it! The houses looked the same all year round, evergreens abounded. Your bck yard could sport riots of colors, daffodills galore or azaleas as mine did, but out front, it always looked the same. I loved it. I started feeling negative about Spring when I was in school. Everyone was changing but me, I was still going to school, still struggling, still stuck in a rutt that I'd sworn I'd be out of by now. You'll have to read my BLOG someday to find out why I like fall so much. Good thing we are all different isn't it. My favorite trip like this is one to the Botannical Gardens in Ft. Bragg, California in July. Evergreens and the sea in one shot can't be beat!! The picture was super though.

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, Diva, I love autumn, also, but not as much as spring. Autumn means winter is right around the corner, which is NOT GOOD. Spring leads me into at least six warmish months so I can go outside and play without being bundled up in long underwear! I will check your BLOG.