Monday, April 7, 2008

PULLING MY WEIGHT


I got started yesterday cleaning up Mama Bore's garden plots--three hours on hands and knees picking up wayward leaves and digging up stubborn, unwanted vines, the invasive kind that get rooted in one spot and end up five feet away. I wore my classic, trusty gardening outfit-- gray, extremely baggy sweat pants with worn, blackened knees, and a gray t-shirt. Mom served as my sidekick, in charge of trash bags and carrying on conversation. She said I am her favorite gardener because she can breathe down my neck, boss me around, and I never get upset with her. Whatever she wants done, I'm game, as long as it doesn't involve killer bees. I especially like playing "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" with her electric hedge clippers. "Vroooom!!!"


We still have a lot left to do, but this was a good beginning. I'll probably go back later in the week, mulch what I cleaned up and then attack the south side of her driveway. In the meantime, I'll wash up my gardening ensemble and keep trying to get the dirt out from underneath my fingernails.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Your a good girl. I got outside on Sunday and did some yardwork. It was a great day for it.

Anonymous said...

That was one fine Rock /Chalk Challenge tonight!! The overtime segment was just fantastic. The whole game was pretty spellbinding. My husband wore his KU tee shirt to the gym today and there was not one nasty comment. My friend wore his K State Wildcats shirt--close counts.

Nancy Evans said...

Diva--No one can badmouth the Hawks, so your honey should command a lot of respect wearing that KU tee to the gym!