Tuesday, April 29, 2008

NICE GLASS


My pal Maggie and I spent this afternoon at the Wichita Art Museum being "art snobs." If the truth be known, neither of us can draw a straight line and we both pretty much bombed Miss Walker's 7th grade art class back in 1962, but we appreciate those with talent. We specifically went to the museum to see a video, "River of Glass," about the works of internationally-known glass blower Dale Chihuly.


Since Maggie and I are old schoolmates of one of Chihuly's assistants, we feel we are on a first-name basis with our good friend Dale, and we do admire his work, even though we will never be able to buy any of it unless we win the lottery ten times over. This video basically followed him around the world as he and his crew set up massive exhibits. It started in Finland, where big blue pear-shaped tear drops were blown in a glass factory and then heaved into a river, floating off into the sunset together. I wondered what the heck happened to them...if Dale's crew rescued them downstream or art-hating vandals took potshots at them. Maggie thinks they're probably lost at sea.


The video moved to Ireland, Mexico, and Venice--each time Dale's unique glassworks being made a part of the environment. It was amazing to see the staff unload all the boxes of glass, set up the framework, and put together wild creations. I could never do such work. Why, just last night I was reaching for a cup in a kitchen cabinet and I accidentally upset a little juice glass, which went crashing onto the floor. I'm still sweeping up the remains. "Fragile, handle with the care" is not in my realm of comprehension. I'm glad there are people like Dale Chihuly who are capable and sure-handed enough to let the art-challenged klutzes of the world enjoy the beauty they envision.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband actually took glass blowing in college and can make his own condensers (he's a chemist). I was so impressed one day when he gave me a vial of 1969 air and told me to keep it till we were old. It is still in the top of my jewelery drawer. 40 years later, I feel old! I flipped by a documentary today on live TV today about how they make those wonderful handblown marbles. I remember the janitor at Lincoln school, Tony McClusky, used to be a glass blower at the glassplant in Fredonia before he retired. Guess I could easily become a glassblower groupie like you gals! Sounds like a great day!

Nancy Evans said...

Hey! Jeff watched that same show you did about the marbles. He said it was fascinating. We are all kindred spirits, miles apart. Glassheads unite! (Have I lost my marbles?)

Sarah said...

how beautiful. I love glass art.