Wednesday, April 9, 2008

PEDAL PUSHER


I went out to the local high school this morning to tutor a kid who is taking a college composition class online. It looked like a nice spring day outside, so I decided to bypass using the car and, instead, ride my 33-year-old red Schwinn for the 3/4-mile trip. Bad decision on my part. Once I began pedalling, the wind chill ate right through my sweats. Oh, I'll be a stud and keep going, I thought. It's not that far, afterall. Well, by the time I cruised up to the school bicycle rack, my hands were practically frozen to the handle bars, my red ears were numb, and a river of snot was running down my nose. I had to do a wipe down before checking in at the office.


The ride home wasn't quite as bad, since the north wind was behind me, but when I head downtown pretty soon to get the newspaper, I'll either be taking a different mode of transportation or pedalling in a parka.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Well good for you for saving the ozone one bike ride at a time. Sorry it wasn't warmer. ;)

Anonymous said...

How can you ride a 33 year old Schwinn when you are only 27 yourself? Have the scabs on your knees healed up yet since fifth grade? Another interview tomorrow! Seriously, it is freezing here too. Heard Ernestine Lafferty passed away today. Did you post your 6 word memoir at Smith yet? I loved reading the whole book of them. I am still struggling with an ear infection and water on my ear drum so am not a happy camper. Gasoline is $3.68/gal here for the cheapest at Sam's club!! diesel is over $4/00 a gal!!