Wednesday, June 25, 2008

DIRTY BUSINESS

Big Bore and I have decided not to be complacent and relax on the porch swing the remainder of the summer. Since we are finished digging and putting in flower or vegetable gardens all around the house and in the backyard, after two years’ work, it’s time to start a new project. The property line goes five feet north of the driveway, so why not dig up that turf, too?! Surely we can think of something to put into the ground besides the forever evil Bermuda grass.


Now, we’re talking about a 45-foot long stretch, here, so this may take us quite a while to do, but we finished an 8x5 foot section before it got too hot yesterday. Big Bore was the head digger dude…as we all know what big, strong feet he has, and I followed later, busting up the dirt and pulling out the grass roots…six garbage bags full of grass roots, which he then hauled off to the town dumping ground. We are a fine tandem.


As I was working, a kid pedaled by on his bike and did a gawking double-take. I could tell he was so jealous…wishing he could be rolling in this big mound of dirt just like moi. Either that, or he was wondering, “What in the heck does that crazy old broad think she’s doing?” I prefer to think his thoughts were the former.


Today we’re taking a break from this new plot of raw ground, though. We’re putting a 250-square foot patch of fescue sod in the backyard, at long last. If any %#&@! Bermuda grass dares to show up there, ever again, I’m going to…hmmm…I’m not sure what drastic measures I‘ll take, but, I can assure you, it will not be pretty and it will most likely involve a shovel!

No comments: