Sunday, June 15, 2008

ON PARENTING....


Before I got off the telephone a while ago, ending a conversation with Mama Bore, I wished her a Happy Father's Day. Since my paternal unit ran away from home when I was around 7 or 8 years old, she pretty much served both parental roles and she did a fine job. None of her five children have ended up thugs, and I never felt deprived not having a father around. I was not a Daddy's Girl.


Many years ago when I was enrolled in a college course that was called something like Sociology of the Family, I remember getting into a heated discussion with the instructor. He advocated that the children of divorced parents should be assigned an entirely new set of parents, thus alleviating all the so-called evils of single parenting. He theorized that the kids would be much better off that way. I was one of a few students in the classroom who had come from a "broken home," so I took the stance that one parent might just be able to manage quite nicely, thank-you, and there was no need to think that all children of divorce were deprived and tainted. The debate became rather heated, as I recall, and I now suspect he was just baiting us with food for thought to get our wee brains to thinking about more than just our social plans for the weekend.


Single-parent homes, two-parent homes...I don't think the number really matters all that much. If a kid has at least one parent who gives a damn, he or she is probably going to turn out okay. Of course, I'm no expert on parenting, so who am I to make such a generalization. I can't even get my cats to listen to a word I say.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally agree that one great parent can be better than two bad ones. Looks like your mom did a great job. Your a good person.

Dusti said...

Well tell Mama Bore Happy Fathers Day from me too! Sounds like she does deserve the extra love for all her hard work!

I've just been catching up on all your blogs. Many times I was just thinking "ouch" for you. :-(

Hope you're feeling okay now. Still thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

Your mother was Super Mom, however, way before it was cool!! I think it takes a village to raise a child. Any jerk can be a Father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad!