Thursday, June 5, 2008

THIS JOB SUCKS!


My least favorite household chore of all time is vacuuming. It's a hassle shoving around this so-called modern convenience, plus it's noisy, and changing the bags is the pits. I once learned the hard way that a nasty, dirt-bulging bag should always be removed outdoors--the time that it ripped open, inside the house, of course, spilling months of crud back onto my carpet.


The first vacuum cleaner I ever owned was a canister type that had about a half-dozen or so handy-dandy attachments, all which I lost within a few weeks of purchase. I had a heckuva time dragging the contraption through the house without battering it into furniture. The coffee table received so many deep gouges that I finally decided to purchase a lighter weight upright number a few years ago. This one is supposed to work wonders on both carpet and wood floors, all with the flip of a switch. To tell you the truth, it doesn't clean very well either way, but the price was right.


It seems that not everyone is an anti-vacuumist and detests these monsters as much as I do. I checked out the Internet and discovered vacuum cleaner museums and several collectors' clubs and websites. One poor sap claims he owns 137 vacuums! What is wrong with this man? I can't even tolerate owning one! Where does he put them? Another writes of his fascination with vacuums as though he is romancing them ("....my heart started pounding when I saw it....") Hmmm. Come to think of it, maybe he is romancing them. Anything's possible.


Lately I've been giving a lot of thought as to how to make vacuuming easier, and here's what I've decided: I'll either hire a maid or spread a few packets of zinnia seeds on my bedroom carpet, water it every once in a while, and let the dirt have at it. Problem solved!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Collecting those is crazy. I hate that job too, we really need to shampoo our carpet. Uggggggg.