Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A KODAK MOMENT


Yesterday after supper I was out pedaling my trusty Schwinn 3-speed southeast of town when I happened to turn my head skyward to the west. What I saw was breathtaking. The sun was beginning to peek behind a dark, fluffy cloud and the rays stretched all the way to the horizon. In the foreground was a fence, with grass swaying beside it. Damn! Where's my camera when I need it? I began to think of how I would have captured this awesome vertical shot, changed it to black and white on the computer, and played around with the contrast. Black mounting board, silver frame. Oh, I would have made Ansel Adams proud! But, I'll never have that picture back again. I could plan and plan and wait and wait and the sky will never be exactly as it was last evening. What a shame that I missed such a glorious shot.

There have been similar times in the last few weeks when I wished I'd had my camera...the sun peeping through cedar trees and iris at the Neodesha cemetery, its rays settling on an old obelisk gravestone; a rainbow arc behind Mama Bore's house as viewed from Fredonia's South Mound observation tower. Why didn't I think to bring my camera with me?

Well, I tell you what I did when I returned home from that bike ride yesterday. I went to my closet, dug out an old fanny pack, and from now on the camera goes wherever I go. I don't care if it's just to walk down to the post office and back, I'm hauling that 10x, 8.0 mega pixels baby with me. I may never get those other awesome moments back--in fact, I'm positive I won't, but I'm not going to miss out on any more.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I know exactly what you mean. It seems like when I bring my camera I don't see much, but as soon as I leave it at home I see so much beauty. I can't wait to see what you capture.

That sunset sounds beautiful.