Tuesday, June 17, 2008

ON THE EDGE

My teen-aged great nephew Bo is at a cool camp in the Ozarks this week...caving, rappelling, canoeing...it sounds like a total blast, and I'm glad he is getting to have the experience. By the time he visits the Flaming Bore next month, I hope he has all the adventure out of his system so he can slow down the pace and be ready for, well, boredom! Excitement isn't exactly tops on the menu at the Bore household, even if life does sometimes seem like a rollercoaster.

Bo and I always go to the Mosley Street Melodrama in Wichita when he is my summer guest. He doesn't seem to mind being seen with me in public, especially since I'm buying the drinks. These are non-alcohol types, of course, but just saying, "I'd like a VIRGIN Pina Colada COCKtail, please," makes him feel more sophisticated. He also likes booing the villain, cheering for the good guy, and laughing at all the raunchy jokes, most of which he has to explain to me. There was one a few years ago about an elephant's trunk that I'm still trying to figure out. Hmmm.

After his busy summer, Bo will start high school...a big high school, not like the small one I attended, where everyone knew everyone else and still liked each other, anyway. As most freshmen do, he will try to find his niche in order to keep his self-esteem intact for the next four years. I don't envy him. I'm not so thrilled about pushing 60, but I'd still never want to return to the angst of teenager-hood. I was such a goober at 14, slobbering over boys much of the time. I hope Bo will manage to avoid all the cell-phoning, text-messaging, hormone-ravaged dimwits and keep his head on straight. These days, rappelling off a cliff has GOT to be MUCH safer than having a girl chasing after him.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like good times. I wouldn't want to go back either. I would be worried things wouldn't have turned out like they have and I don't want anything to change. I did have fun in high school. So maybe for a week or so. ;)

Anonymous said...

Is he at my son's camp??? Sounds like it.

I would not want to go back to FHS. I think Jr. High was wrose though. I adored school. I love being an adult.

Have you seen the Trace Atkins video called "Your'e gonna miss this"? I think it is free to watch on his website. It just exactly about this topic and the video is his own high school and home town. It is number six on the Country Music Television charts right now. Worth seeing. I love it where he is talking about his "babies" and they are really adults.

Nancy Evans said...

Diva, I'll check out Trace's website. I like his deep voice. Oh, I adored school too, on one hand, but I wasted WAY too much time thinking about how to interest the opposite sex...especially since I had very little to work with--ha!

Anonymous said...

What else would you have done with your time? The classes were not very challenging and you were already smarter than most of the teachers. Thank goodness for Girl Scouts, which enlarged the pool of young men a lot. I promptly informed my mother in junior high I was not marrying anyone from Fredonia. And I didn't!! I married a man from Benedict.