Tuesday, June 24, 2008

SUNBURST OUTBURST



Today the Flaming Bore household is honoring the Kansas State Flower: the sunflower. Here are some pictures of the sunflowers “planted” in our yard by the birds who stopped by our feeder earlier this year and spread seeds.

When I was in grade school, we kids sang a song about Kansas and sunflowers. Here it is:

“I was (clap) born in Kansas. I was (clap) bred in Kansas.
And when I get married, I’ll be (clap) wed in Kansas.
There’s a true blue gal who promised me she’d wait.
She’s a sunflower from the Sunflower State.
She’s a sunflower. She’s my one flower, and I know we’ll never part.
She’s a sunflower. She’s my one flower. She’s the flower of my heart.”

Any of you old timers from Mound School reading this blog remember that song and how we basically just yelled out the lyrics and clapped as hard as we could? I think there was even some heavy duty stomping going on by the boys, too. That’s back when our energy and enthusiasm levels reached orgasmic proportions. (Snore.)

So, for June 24th, I want you to race outside, find some gorgeous sunflowers, yell, "I was born in Kansas!!!"---then clap your hands, stomp your feet on the ground, and have a sunny day!

3 comments:

dr. maureen said...

okay---this computer-inept person is attempting a 2nd time to respond--if this is a repeat, forgive me!

we also sang that sunflower song in Pittsburg when i was growing up---either in girl scouts (i quit early) or at my parochial school.

i have sunflowers growing in my garden also--some from birds, some i planted--although our prolific deer population in North Carolina likes to nibble the tender shoots of sunflowers (where ARE those dogs when you need them?)

occasionally i break out into the sunflower song around here---and people just look at me REAL HARD....???

Nancy Evans said...

OH, YEAH! I'M SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT THE KANSAS SUNFLOWER SONG HAS MADE IT ALL THE WAY TO NORTH CAROLINA!

Anonymous said...

Miss Lounsberry also taught that song at Lincoln. I sing that song to Evelyn and she loves to stomp in her boots and clap loudly. Jason thought he was born in Kansas until he was ten as we sang that song so much.