Friday, July 18, 2008

BUMMER

Once again, my computer is on the blink. I can't get on the Internet or email. My ISP told me I needed to "call the manufacturer." Once again, I called Hewlett/Packard's customer technical service department halfway around the world for assistance. After five minutes of listening to really bad music, I got to speak with Raoul, who was patient with me for not understanding him very well. He slowed down, took my initial info, told me I had 198 days of free service left, and transferred me on to the desktop tech department. More music. Then I heard from Matt. I was excited, until he told me he was a laptop guy and I'd been hooked up to the wrong department. More music.

Matt got me to the right place. I never could understand the name of this new technician, but I did understand that he wanted me to give him a credit card number so he could charge me $99.00 for service for the next year.

"But Raoul told me I had 198 free days left," I said/whined.

"No, no. That is wrong," what's-his-name responded.

"Well, I had Raoul repeat what he said and I wrote it down...198 free days left," I read from my notes.

"Oh, no. That's not right."

"Well, about a month ago I spoke with an HP technician for over an hour and he fixed the problem and I wasn't charged," I said. "And now you're telling me that Raoul was mistaken and I cannot even talk to you about this problem without first giving you my credit card number and agreeing to the $99.00 charge?"

"That is correct."

"Well, I'd rather buy a new computer than give Hewlett/Packard any more money," I said almost congenially. "Good day." And I really did say it nicely, sort of.

I'll check with my local cyber guru Ben, and if he can't fix the problem, I'll be looking for a new desktop PC. Not an HP. Until then, the poor Flaming Bore will be hitting up the local library computers to check email and blog. I wouldn't want to miss out on any excitement!!


5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow that sounds like some weird scam. Jeremy and I got a Dell and we love it. Our service is through Cox. I guess I don't understand why your internet or email quit. Doesn't E town have a local place you just pay a monthly charge. KitUSA? but it might just be dial up. I don't know.
Well good luck and I feel your pain.

Unknown said...

We had a dell too and loved it. I got an awesome laptop from wal mart for 499 and I love it!!

Anonymous said...

Those Dell computers was probably before Dell started buying non-Intel chips and their stuff turned to crap. It has almost put them out of business. Our friend bought one of the cheapos at Walmart and has had good luck. It was a laptop though. Write or email your plight to HP and maybe they will soften. We have three laptops, one desk top and a Mac but have never needed service as both High Margin and I can open them up and hit them when they act up. Local (Wichita) service seems to be your need. Some shops sell used PC's, especially desktops. I wouldn't give a crap about what type of PC I had, just what the service was like if I were you. Bummer!! Do you want HM to call you and see if he can help over the phone? So sorry. Tendonitis has struck again so my Blog is silent. Company left. Material is fab. One piece, pink, I was searching for!!! Uncanny! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

High Margin says it is time to invoke abusive language with the next guy at HP as you will never get the same guy twice.

Nancy Evans said...

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to call my local ISP one more time, and if I still get the same tune (call the manufacturer), I'll bop in on Mighty Ben here in Eureka to get his advice. I'm not going to call HP back again EVER. I get too worked up being on hold and then trying to understand the guys. --Glad the material is working out for you, Diva. I hope you and your little girls can make use of some of it.