Tuesday, July 15, 2008

PUBLIC ALERT!!!!

Once again, those caring cyber journalists at AOL have dispensed some critical, life-saving health information to their Internet readers. The latest advice is: If you’re using a public restroom, DON’T use the middle stall! It seems as though an “unpublished” report by some crack research team states that the center stool is germier than the others. No reason is given why, but I’m assuming that it’s because more people must pick #2 than the first or last stalls. I know I usually go for a middle spot because I figure, apparently erroneously, that most people are so desperate that they just race for the first opening. Thank goodness AOL has corrected my thinking and made me a wiser consumer of public facilities. All this time, I thought I was increasing my chances of walking out alive.

Actually, I try to avoid public restrooms as much as possible, but for some reason every time I go shopping at Wal-Mart, I have the sudden urge to pee. I hate this habit, not because I fear discount shoppers’ germs but because Wal-Mart has such LOUD toilets. The first time I rose from one of their new-fangled automatic flushing potties, I thought a Jumbo jet was taking off out of my ass! Very scary. Now, though, being prepared for the explosion, I plug my fingers in my ears while exiting the stall. I get strange looks sometimes…especially when I cover my ears before I’ve pulled up my pants. A minor oversight. I wash my hands, make sure no toilet paper is stuck to my shoes, and get back to the dangerous job of rolling down prices. I figure there’s more bacteria on the shopping cart handles than there will ever be in those restrooms!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I use the middle ones too! Wow they must have sat in many restrooms and just watched people for that study. Nice job. I agree about the scary jet sound the toilet at wally world makes. I also agree about the carts carring more disease than the toilet. At least they clean the johns, I doubt they touch the carts.

Unknown said...

I always use the first available usually cuz I am in a rush. I would think the first ones would have been worse. Goes to show you I don't know jack. Sarah told me she is thinking about coming but doubts her hubby will give the ok. He isn't into traveling to much, unless its to Neb. to see his family.

Anonymous said...

There is a super Walmart one miles from my house. The saying around here is, "Have you been to Walmart YET today?" Now I know they are all going there just to check out the bathrooms. I use the handicapped stalls and always wonder why they are furthest from the door when we can usually walk poorly at best? You know if you think about this very much it would be easier to become germophobic than not.

dr. maureen said...

i worry more about what my hands touch than what my butt touches!! that is---i worry more about those people who don't wash their hands in the bathroom, then come out and shake my hand, handle my change, touch things that i touch....ewww! at lease their butts aren't making change or pushing carts (i don't think they are...)