Tuesday, July 29, 2008

WHAT LURKS BENEATH

One of my new year’s resolutions for 2008 has been to do a better job cleaning underneath the refrigerator. Late last year I swiped a yardstick under the ‘fridge, looking for a pill that had fallen on the floor and, honest to God, I was frightened by what came out. I thought that I’d found what was left of my missing cat Shadow, based upon all the gray cat fuzz that emerged before my startled eyes.

Keeping up with the stray hair of four indoor cats is a challenge. I can take a lint brush to the sofa and five minutes later it’s back to being a total mess. I always warn visitors at the door, “If you are allergic to cats, don’t come in.” Their hair is everywhere!! One day I took a cotton swab to my ears--there was no wax inside the canals, just gray cat hair!

There’s also the dilemma of kitty barf/hairballs. The cats usually give me a gag warning, so sometimes I can respond quickly enough to slide a newspaper in front of them, but, more often than not, they get choked in the middle of the night and the upchuck lands on a rug, or on a t-shirt, or inside my shoes, or on the sofa. We have a special jug of chemical that is supposed to clean it right up, leaving no stains--ha!

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love my four felines and wouldn’t want to live without them because they are so slobbery and silly, but as long as they’re hanging out with me and ruling over the household, I sure wish they’d learn to clean up after themselves. Is that asking too much?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Our houses must look a lot alike. The hair drives me crazy, it is a constant battle. I have considered shaving them. Oh yes, the morning piles of hairball puke on the carpet is a lovely find, but not when you step in it in the dark.

They are worth it (that is what I keep telling myself)

Nancy Evans said...

STEPPING ON CAT PUKE IN THE DARK...YES, WE ARE KINDRED SPIRITS, SARAH!

dr. maureen said...

why is it that they particularly love to upchuck on rugs and other fabric? our house is entirely hardwood floors except for tiled baths---but there are a few throw rugs around. the cats will start with those "barf noises", look around and realize they are on a hardwood floor and RUN to the nearest rug in order to throw up appropriately. must be something wired in cat DNA---but what do they do out in the forest??!!

also--do any of your cats like to EAT on the rug? 2 of ours will take mouthfuls of food from the bowl (dry or wet food) and go over to the rug in front of the oven and deposit said food then casually devour it.

Nancy Evans said...

Well, actually, Dr. M2, our cats are about 70% hard surface and 30 % carpet, so we are lucky in that respect. (Can you believe I even keep track?) And, no, they never take food and drag it on to the carpet. They eat from fine china!!